Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reflection.

English 112 was one of my favorite classes of the semester. As an English major with a specialization in creative writing, I enjoy writing a lot. It's something that I've done since I was a little girl, because telling a story always came natural to me as breathing. However, I was not (and still not) perfect. My writing is human like myself. I have trouble spots. This class has helped me improve on things such as writing a thesis, and improving my writing. Through the peer reviews, I learned how to read others works, and learn how they perceived mine. Overall, this class has taught me how to improve my writing to prepare me for what's ahead. 
Out of the many classes that I've taken this semester, I looked forward to this one everyday. This class helped improve my writing in many ways, in my opinion. For one thing, I really had no idea how to write a thesis. In my critical thinking class, my teacher said that it was okay to write 'this paper would be about...." In this class, I quickly learned that it was not the way that things worked. My ability to write a thesis is something that improved. Another thing that this class helped to improve was the fact that I really hated to write the conclusions. This class helped improve that because Professor Guarino helped me realize that the conclusion is something that leaves your reader with something to think about. I plan to take those lessons, in addition to all of the other ones with me to my future writing and english classes. 
An assignment that literally taught me the most was that Rhetoric Argument essay. It was by far the hardest essay in my opinion, because I've never written anything like that in my life. I tackled the assignment with great excitement. By reading through examples of others, and meeting with the professor, I was able to do a halfway decent job. I also believe I learned the most from this essay, because when you're exposed to something new, you learn from it. Since I didn't know what I was doing, I can safely say that this essay was something I learned A LOT from. 
Going into this class, I can say that I've done a lot of writing. I've written tons of blog entries, poems, and fictional pieces. Writing was always my strong suit. Exiting this class, I've changed the way I look at writing. I now attack pieces in drafts. Then, I go back, and edit like crazy. I never did that before, because I assumed that since I was a decent writer that it was a fairly decent piece. 
Leaving this class would not be easy. I've made some awesome friends who I hope to remain in contact with. I've had a great teacher, who really put herself out there for her students to be sure that they did things to the best of their ability. Most of all, I leave a better writer with more experience to lead me to my next English class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment